Search site
Image icon - Information

Food Safety - Business Start-Up Advice.

Environmental Health - Food Safety - New Businesses.

What you need to do if you are setting up a new food business.

Before you take on new premises, it is worth checking that you have all the necessary Planning and Building Regulation approvals for the premises to be used as a food business - if you do not, you may find that you are unable to operate a food business from your new premises.

We would always encourage you to speak to an officer in Environmental Health at an early stage to seek advice on whether the premises are suitable for a food business, and what you would need to do to comply with the relevant legal requirements.

We are concerned not only with food safety, but also preventing accidents to staff and public.

We will also consider whether you need to take steps to prevent any cooking smells or noise from causing a nuisance to your neighbours.

Before you start trading you will need to register with us.

You can get a lot more information from the Food standards Agency.

You also need to consider food hygiene training for yourself, your managers, supervisors and other staff.

We can help with training, food hygiene courses are available locally on a regular basis for all types of staff at all levels. Application Forms can be downloaded.

If you are planning to start a food business from home, please see our  documents below "Advice for home caterers" and "Home Cake Maker"

If you would like further advice please contact us, using the details below.

Powered by GOSS iCM