Search site
Image icon - Apply

Private Hire Vehicle Licences

Private Hire Vehicle Licences are issued by Basildon Council. Applications must be made in writing.

How to Apply

You can call in to the Council's town centre offices in St Martin's Square, Basildon, where you will be given the necessary forms and advice by a member of the licensing staff. Alternatively, you can telephone 01268 206925 and request the necessary forms be posted to your address, or download an application form from the 'Related Downloads' section of this page.

Returning Your Completed Application And Other Required Documents 

Application forms & other required documents should be handed in to:

The Licensing Officer
The Basildon Centre,
St Martin's Square,
Basildon, Essex SS14 1DL.

Tel. (01268) 206925

Please Do Not Post Your Completed Application Form To The Licensing Office

We will need to see you in person when you hand in your application and all of the necessary additional documents mentioned below.

We will also need to see:

  • the vehicle registration document (log book)
  • a bill of sale
  • an MoT certificate (if applicable)
  • insurance cover for hire and reward

A vehicle licence will not be issued until valid insurance cover for hire and reward has been seen.

Private Hire Vehicle Inspections 

The Licensing Office will need to check that your vehicle meets licensing conditions in all respects.

It will need to pass an examination at the Council Depot. You will need to contact the licensing office to arrange for an inspection. These inspections can usually be arranged within a few days of your application.

The inspection will consist of an MoT and a compliance test.

Costs and Fees 

For information on the fees please see pdf icon Basildon Council - Schedule of Fees and Charges 2017-2018 [504kb]. The fees are correct at the time of publication, please contact the Licensing Team for information on up to date fees.

Licences will be granted on a rolling year basis and must be renewed by the relevant date each year.

The fee includes two inspections at the Council Depot and the issue of the plate and door stickers.

Types Of Vehicle That Can Be Used For Private Hire Work

Any car can be used for private hire work provided the vehicle meets the following conditions:

  • It must be capable of carrying at least four passengers, but no more than eight.
  • Each passenger must have at least 17 inches of seat space per person.
  • This means that the back seat must be at least 51 inches wide.
  • There are certain makes of vehicle which do not meet the criteria. (See the pre-licensing conditions for further information) 
  • Always make sure that any vehicle you intend to license meets the conditions before you pay for it or enter into any credit agreement.
  • The vehicle must meet all other pdf icon pre-licensing conditions [432kb]   

Basildon Borough Council will not be liable if you purchase a vehicle which cannot be licensed because it does not meet the pre-licensing conditions.

If you have any doubts about whether your particular vehicle is acceptable, contact the Licensing Office on 01268 206925 who can usually arrange to look at it before you make a decision.

Licensing a 'people carrier'.

Providing the vehicle meets Council pre-licensing conditions we will consider it for licensing.

Please note that there are strict rules regarding seating arrangements for such vehicles.

These are set out in the licensing conditions.

Using your own car for private hire work.

You can use your own car for private hire work provided the car is licensed as a private hire vehicle and you hold a valid private hire driver's licence issued by the Council that licenses the vehicle.

IMPORTANT - Once your vehicle has been licensed it cannot be driven by anybody else unless they hold a private hire driver's licence.

This means that your spouse, partner or children will be unable to drive the vehicle at any time, even on holiday.

Such use could invalidate your insurance cover.

The Private Hire Driver's Licence must be issued by the same Council that issued the vehicle licence.

Vehicle Age Restrictions For Private Hire Work

If you want to license a vehicle, it must be under four years of age.

At each subsequent re-licensing it must not be more that seven years of age.

For certain high quality cars this upper age limit may be extended to ten years but this must be requested on the initial application to license the vehicle.

If You Want To Work For Yourself You Must Have An Operators Licence 

If you do not have a Private Hire Operator's Licence you can not start work for yourself in any private hire vehicle.

Even after you have licensed you car, if you want to work for yourself then you must hold a Private Hire Operator's Licence before accepting jobs such as airport runs, theatre, sports outings etc.

Powered by GOSS iCM